Sunday, March 22, 2009

Sewing for the Girl, by the Girl

This is an outfit that was made by my daughter today. I think it took us about 1 1/2 hours to make the whole thing. This is the first time she has really made anything even close to wearable. She started cutting out some fabric that I had given her, wanting to make a dress for her best friend. So after cutting for a bit, I took a look at what she had so far. It was way too short for a dress but it looked very close to a dolman sleeved top. So I drew a line for her to cut out. Then I let her run the pedal for the serger. It was the first time that she had done it and she did a really great job. With the leftover fabric, we created a circle skirt. I drew another two lines and she cut them out. Again I let her run the serger pedal. Here is the finished project:
Photobucket
Photobucket
She was very proud of her outfit, and wore it all day. (And to bed tonight.) She decided to keep it and not pass it onto her friend. It's a bit tight in the tummy, but I suppose that happens when nothing gets measured before cutting. And just for fun:
Photobucket
I think you can figure out why I passed the fabric onto her. ;) It came to me when my great Gran passed. Oh, and she's 4.

No comments: